Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Take a Hike!

Spring is such a great time for getting outdoors and enjoying the sunshine, the warm breezes, the beauty of nature. So you should really get out and see what's out there.

No matter where you live, there is surely a park or botanical garden or natural area you could go. If you have your own wild backyard or woods, that's even better.

Some wildflowers
I live in a very rural area and there are lots of places I can go to hike or just enjoy wildflowers and wildlife. I also own property that is partially "wild." So I have plenty of room to roam. But I live near some great place to explore nature too. Like Holliday Lake State Park and the Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest.

I love to walk in the woods this time of year. There are flowers blooming everywhere. One of my favorites is the Pink Lady's Slipper. It's unusual shape is very interesting and it always causes me to wonder. It's also just plain cool. You have to be really quick to see them in bloom because they don't last long. If the Mountain Laurel is blooming, the Lady's Slippers probably are too. The Mountain Laurel is more abundant and usually more visible.

Pink Lady's Slippers
These are some I found a couple years ago at Holliday Lake State Park. It is truly my favorite hiking place. It has miles of trails and a lake (of course) and camping and a beach. Just about everything you want in a park. And I'm lucky enough to go there almost every day.

Me on a good day at the park
Here I am on a really great day at the park! I'm so happy to out on the trails and not stuck in an office somewhere. It's not the best as far as "hair days" go, but it was a really great day on the trail!

I hope you will find a good trail near you and GO FOR A HIKE!! Today if possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment