Thursday, November 22, 2012

FRUGAL FRIDAY: Black Friday Edition

Today's post is going to be slightly different. Here are just a few tips for smart Black Friday shopping along with some links to what I think is helpful information. Feel free to add your own comments and links too. I have shopped on Black Friday and I have stayed home on Black Friday. It depends on several factors.

  1. First of all, I check the ads for various stores in my area. Since we have only a few stores in our local town, we often travel 1 to 2 hours from home to shop (not just on Black Friday). You might think that's too far, but for us it's the price we pay for living out here on Lanky Ridge. Let's just say, there's no Wal-Mart up here. There isn't even a gas station or 7-11 for about 10 miles. Anyway, I find out what good deals are out there first.
  2. I make a Christmas list. This includes everyone I buy for and all those little "extras" too. For example, I usually purchase a few generic gifts for no one in particular. If I need a gift at the last minute, no one needs to run out to the store. Since my family does a big "name draw" gift every year and we set price limits; I usually know exactly who I need to buy for and how much it should cost. As of right now, I already have that list made.
  3. Then I compare my list with the ads and decide if the items I plan to buy are on sale and where. This allows me to decide if the hassel of going out on Black Friday is worth it. Sometimes it is totally worth it and others not so much.
  4. Take a buddy. Tag-team shopping is always helpful and fun. If there is a really long line, one person can wait in line while the other shops and then switch places. This is a common practice and I don't think it's cutting in line or anything. For me, this also helps to ground me. If I see an unexpected item, I can ask the other person if it's a good deal or not. Impulse buying is a huge problem on Black Friday.
I have gone out really early in the morning (embarrassed to say I've left home before 4:00 am a couple times). And I've gone later in the day. Around 10:00 am is a great time to go. Most of the really crazy folks are gone, the store has adjusted it's "crowd control plan" with opening more registers so lines are shorter. And in most cases, there are still good deals to be had.

So I have to keep it real and tell you, I haven't decided if I am going shopping on Black Friday this year. I'm looking at online deals as well as in store deals to determine if I can get the items on my list online. If I go, The Hubs is going with me. He's the love of my life, but not my favorite shopping partner. But with a good plan in place, and excellent communication, I think we'll be fine. And of course, it counts as a date if we have lunch out, if we go.

Here's a great article from Consumer Reports about shopping on Black Friday.

This Black Friday Ad site has links to all the chain stores and their ads. Go here to compare and make a plan.

Here's an extreme couponing blog that has lots of good shopping tips and links to coupons too.

So, if you plan well, make a list and do your homework, shopping the day after Thanksgiving can be worth it. It can also be fun. If you go, please be careful and remember, you just spent a whole day being thankful for what you have, don't act like a fool just because you can.


No comments:

Post a Comment