Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Resolutions

Are you one of those people who always make resolutions, but never keep them? Or are you the type who says, "What's the point?" I usually make resolutions and sometimes I keep them and sometimes I don't.  I've found that if they are measurable and specific, I can mostly keep them.

No one really knows where this practice began. Whose idea was it anyway? Most likely, "new" year, "new" you mentality kicks in and people start to think about all the things they want to do in life. Time passes and we still haven't accomplished what we want to do. With a new year coming, we set goals. But do we really plan to meet those goals?

This year I have resolutions. I've tried to come up with some that are long-term and some that are quick and easy (or so I think!). I'll post them here so you all can keep me committed! We'll see how it goes. I'll check in from time to time and let you know.

So here are my 2013 resolutions:
  1. Complete a 90-Day Overview of The Bible study. This will keep me busy until the end of March (if I stay on track). I've done lots of Bible studies in my time and one I particularly enjoyed was a read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year. I did complete that twice, so I have confidence I can do this one.
  2. Plant a garden with tomatoes, peppers, green beans, potatoes (white and sweet), zucchini, pumpkins, watermelons, cantaloupe, and a few herbs. And can 50 quarts of tomato sauce and/or spaghetti sauce. We haven't had a garden for a couple of years because of time (summer is very busy at work). So this will be just a "going back to what's familiar" to us. The Hubs has agreed to help with this. I need to find more canning jars to do this, so if you know of an inexpensive source, let me know. Purchasing new jars is always an option, but expensive.
  3. Get my concealed weapons permit and purchase a handgun. This is something The Hubs and I have been planning for some time, but just haven't done it. I'm hoping putting it on this list will give us the needed push to get it done. We have a good local place for the class and will be signing up for it soon.
  4. Visit my friend Kim in Pennsylvania. We haven't seen each other in over ten years! The Hubs and I were heading in that direction right after Christmas, but the flu hit and we came back home. This will probably happen in March or April. Easy!
  5. Two date nights a month with The Hubs. 2013 will see our nest completely empty (barring any unforeseen circumstances) and it's finally "our time"! I think this will be the easiest one.
So there you have it. Number 1 should be completed by the end of March, if I stay on track each day. Number 3 should be completed by the end of February. Number 4 should be completed by the end of April. Number 2 will be a little longer, but will have measurable milestones (plant by April/May, weed each day, harvest/process/etc. as I have tomatoes/etc.). Number 5 is the only one that will be on-going all year (beginning now and not completed until December 2013).

All goals are measurable and I can follow my progress on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Please add comments and let me know YOUR resolutions. I'll help you stay on track too!

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!


No comments:

Post a Comment