Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Couple of Projects

I've recently finished up a couple of quilting projects. My Nanny taught me how to quilt years ago. She was what I call "A Real Quilter." That means she learned (like I did) by watching her mom and grandmother and she made quilts because her family needed them for warmth. It wasn't an art form like it is today. I love all quilts. Quilt shows are awesome and I enjoy seeing the old ones and the new "Artsy" ones.

Graduation Quilt for Daughter S
This one is a full-sized quilt that I started for Daughter S's high school graduation. I finished it a couple of months ago. I'm embarrassed to say that she is now a Junior in college. But better late than never. She helped design it and picked the fabrics. It fits a queen-sized bed.


Hannah's Quilt
This one is a baby quilt for baby Hannah. She is due in April and her daddy was the ring bearer at my wedding. It's so cute and the pink and brown are so popular for baby girls these days. The photo shows up a little dark-the pink is not that dark. I love doing baby quilts because they are (usually) quick and easy. And this one was done on a new quilt frame the hubs made for me out of PVC pipe. A post about that is in the works. I have to wait until I have a quilt in the frame so I can get some good photos. But it's coming, I promise.

Close-up of the fabric
Isn't it so special when you see a baby with something homemade. Either a quilted blanket or a crochet or knit blanket. And when I see tiny little crocheted booties or hats, I die a thousand deaths. What is it about babies that makes grown women die? I don't know, but it must be some primal instinct thing. How else would a woman go through labor?

Sorry about all that.

I may have just lost a few readers.

I'll never talk about that stuff again.

That's a lie.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some special projects. These two are done and now I've moved on to knitting a baby blanket (first time to knit a blanket for me) for the new grandbaby due in May. I'm about half-way through. I'm going to make him a baby quilt too.

Working on a quilt gives me such comfort. As a child, I spent many days at my Nanny's feet under her large quilt frame while she was stitching one. From underneath, the various colors of the pieces make an amazing sight with the light coming through. It's a beautiful thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment