Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 28, 1969

Here is a page from my Nanny's journal from the year 1969:

March 28: Clear. Roger took Carolyn to the hospital. Baby girl born about 7 O'Clock.

March 29: Clear. They sawed some logs. Lewis Morgan helped. Sandi's Birthday.

March 30: Clear. Windy. We went to church. Went to hospital to see Carolyn and baby.

March 31: Clear. Carolyn and Sarah Grace came home.

Me   
My mom gave me this journal from 1969 a few weeks ago. It's so cool to have a window into the heart of my grandmother. She almost always reported the weather and the work done around the farm. Above, she reported that they sawed some logs. My dad, grandfather and uncle owned a sawmill. In other entries, she listed farm chores like plowing or cutting hay. Typical for the time and the woman, she rarely reported what she did in the house. Her days were filled with laundry, cleaning, cooking, canning, caring for the garden and her chickens. But you wouldn't know it from her journal. She did what was expected of her and never gave it a second thought. I miss her....

No comments:

Post a Comment